Mobile therapy is a care delivery model in which healthcare professionals, such as therapists, social workers, and other behavioral health providers, make house calls in person or via telehealth. This approach aims to reduce barriers to access mental health and human services, increase patient convenience, and provide personalized care in a familiar setting. Mobile therapy can also include field social work and serve as a method for obtaining feedback and monitoring patients receiving therapy, which we know is effective but underutilized.
Let’s examine some common uses of mobile therapy, how mobile therapy technology supports outpatient mental health treatment, and what to look for when introducing mobile therapy solutions to your organization.
10 Use Cases for Mobile Therapy
Accessible and convenient mental health services are possible through mobile therapy in a variety of situations. The following are some common scenarios in which mobile therapy benefits patients, caregivers, and organizations.
- Accessibility: For people with physical disabilities or limited mobility, traveling to a therapist's office could be challenging, if not impossible. Mobile therapy enables these patients to receive care in the comfort of their own home.
- Transportation challenges: Patients who lack access to reliable transportation, live in remote areas, or face financial constraints that limit their ability to travel can benefit from mobile therapy as it eliminates the need for commuting to appointments.
- Social anxiety: Individuals with severe social anxiety or agoraphobia may find it difficult or overwhelming to attend appointments in a clinical setting. Mobile therapy allows them to receive care in a familiar and safe environment.
- Caregiver support: In-home therapy can be helpful for caregivers of those with chronic illnesses or disabilities. It reduces the burden of coordinating transportation and managing appointments, allowing caregivers to focus on the well-being of their loved ones.
- Crisis intervention: When a patient is experiencing a mental health crisis, mobile therapy provides immediate support and intervention, reducing the risk of escalation or harm.
- Post-hospitalization: Ambulatory therapy assists people in transitioning back to their daily lives after discharge from a hospital or residential care facility, providing continuity of care and support during the adjustment period. Remote services also allow for care integration — for instance, with physical therapists and occupational therapists.
- Child and family services: Mobile therapy assists families and children in their homes, promoting a better understanding of the family dynamics and offering tailored interventions that address specific needs.
- Support for individuals with I/DD or severe mental illness: Mobile therapy allows healthcare professionals to visit and support patients with intellectual and developmental disabilities — including autism or severe mental conditions — in a familiar environment. Additionally, patients may get psychiatric home healthcare coverage through Medicare Part B.
- Geriatric care: Older adults, especially those with cognitive decline and orthopedic limitations, are more likely to benefit from telehealth or in-home visits as they reduce the stress and challenges associated with attending appointments in a clinical setting.
- Rural and underserved communities: Mobile therapy fills the care gap in mental health services for people living in rural or underserved areas. Access to care can be difficult due to long travel distances and a lack of nearby therapy service providers.
These are just some examples of situations where mobile therapy sessions can benefit patients and providers. Due to its flexibility and customization, mobile therapy could make it easier for patients to receive the mental health and human services they need.
Outpatient Mental Health Treatment Requires Technology Support
Implementing mobile therapy technology into your organization's care delivery model significantly enhances the quality and accessibility of services. Key components of such technology include a comprehensive electronic health record (EHR) system, a patient engagement platform, and human capital management (HCM) software. Let’s take a closer look at each component.
Comprehensive EHR Solution
An electronic health record system designed for mobile therapy streamlines processes like scheduling, documentation, and communication. Comprehensive features allow behavioral health professionals to securely access and update patient records, send and receive referrals, and create treatment plans and progress notes from any location, thereby improving care coordination and efficiency. Moreover, a robust EHR system ensures compliance with regulatory requirements such as HIPAA to safeguard sensitive patient information.
Patient Engagement Platform or Mobile App
A patient engagement platform empowers patients to take an active role in their care by providing telehealth capabilities, secure video conferencing, and messaging tools. Features like appointment reminders, goal tracking, and access to educational resources encourage patients to participate in their treatment and stay informed about their progress. By strengthening the connection between patients and behavioral health providers, a patient engagement platform enhances the overall care experience.
Human Capital Management System
A dedicated HCM system supports mobile therapy's administrative and human resources aspects, enabling organizations to optimize their workforce and focus on patient care. By simplifying tasks such as payroll, benefits administration, and talent management, an HCM solution allows organizations to allocate resources efficiently and ensures adequate staffing for optimal patient outcomes. HCM systems can also provide insights into workforce productivity and help identify areas for improvement.
Select a Technology Vendor That Checks All of the Boxes
Organizations aiming to implement mobile therapy and outpatient mental health treatment must address various aspects of care delivery and management. Use this checklist to make the process easier and find a vendor that meets your requirements.
◻︎ Look for a mobile-enabled, all-in-one solution that includes an EHR, HCM, and patient engagement app. These tools cater to diverse needs, such as clinical documentation, workforce management, and patient engagement, ensuring seamless integration of mobile therapy into an organization's existing services.
◻︎ Make sure the EHR solution simplifies the process of scheduling, documentation, and communication for mobile therapy providers. For instance, ContinuumCloud’s comprehensive EHR lets clinicians securely access and update patient records, treatment plans, and progress notes from any location, improving care coordination and efficiency.
◻︎ When you have a remote workforce, HCM software is more than a “nice to have.” Look for robust software that supports mobile therapy's administrative and human resources aspects. You want functionality that helps your organization optimize its workforce, track productivity, and manage payroll and benefits administration tasks. As an example, ContinuumCloud’s HCM software helps clinicians focus on patient care and ensures adequate staffing for better patient outcomes.
◻︎ Choose a patient engagement platform that meets patients where they are. For instance, the CaredFor app provides telehealth capabilities, allowing patients to connect with healthcare providers through secure video conferencing and messaging. The app also offers social media-like chat and features such as appointment reminders, goal tracking, and access to educational resources, encouraging patients to participate actively in their care.
◻︎ Ensure that the technology you choose meets all regulatory requirements, such as the HIPAA Privacy Rule, so sensitive patient information is securely handled and stored. You want a partner that helps your organization maintain compliance while you focus on providing quality care. Furthermore, look for solutions that can be scaled according to your company's size and needs, making it a suitable partner for medium to large organizations looking to implement or expand mobile therapy services.
◻︎ You need a solution tailored to your unique requirements, providing flexibility in implementing mobile therapy and outpatient mental health treatment services. Look for a technology partner who offers ongoing customer support, training, and resources to help your organization effectively utilize helpful tools and maximize the benefits of mobile therapy.
Leverage Cutting-Edge Technology to Streamline Mobile Care Delivery
ContinuumCloud's solutions support mobile psychotherapy and extend to field social work and human services like home studies, check-ins, and follow-up visits to patients for whom trips to an outpatient clinic aren’t possible. These comprehensive, mobile-enabled solutions help organizations deliver high-quality care while optimizing resources and improving patient outcomes. By leveraging this technology, you can bridge care gaps and offer personalized, high-quality care.
To learn more about how partnering with ContinuumCloud can help your organization enhance patient engagement and improve overall outcomes in mobile therapy and outpatient mental health treatment settings, connect with us today.